Networking for Salary Data
In addition to using the classified
ads for salary data, there are some other, more informal ways to get data,
too. They tend not to be reflective of an entire industry or area, but they can
give you a starting point. If you have a relatively common job opening, you can
- other small business owners
- your local chamber of commerce
- employment agencies or temporary help agencies
- local chapters of trade groups that specialize in the applicable industry
- competitors who have a job opening — call and ask how much the
salary would be. You may get the information or you may not. Be creative in
getting this information.
- job applicants — they may be willing to tell you how much they were paid
in their previous positions
- anyone doing that job — who knows, maybe they can give you some
leads on people you can hire!